Saturday, June 20, 2015

Let There Be Light

June 20, 2015

"God said, 'Let there be light,' and there was light. And God saw that the light was good." Most everything is more difficult in the dark. Today I wired the lights in the garage, working by the natural light that filtered in through the doors. It wasn't too bad when I was working towards the front of the garage, or by the window in my workshop, but when I got to the back and had to tighten the wire keepers in the semi-darkness inside the electrical boxes, it got a bit dicey. How often I've had to work where the available light was almost non-existent; it's so much easier when I can see what I'm doing. I was quite pleased when I threw the switch and suddenly everything was bathed in the bright glow of the fluorescents. It was much more pleasant than suddenly being bathed in the bright flash of a major wiring mistake.

In the house, I can usually find my way around in the darkness, but if I misjudge my steps or something has been left where it shouldn't be, I painfully discover that it would have been better to turn on the light. About the only thing darkness is good for is sleeping and trying to get away with something one shouldn't be doing, which is why Jesus said, "Men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil." We are often amazed when someone commits a crime "in broad daylight." That's not the time people usually choose for their nefarious actions.

Scripture exhorts us to "walk in the light," to "awake from sleep," to "let our light shine." The analogies are numerous, but tonight I am thankful to be able to see in my garage. The first thing I did was to start cleaning that which I didn't notice before. One of Jesus' most common miracles was to restore sight to the blind. May the light of the Gospel shine as clearly in our hearts as my new lights shine in my garage, that we may see to do the work and clean up the mess that we too often allow to accumulate. Then we can rejoice in the light that brightens and lifts our spirits as a sunny day drives away gloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment