Wednesday, June 3, 2015

My Gospel Bike

June 3, 2015

A month or two ago, I did something I rarely do. I volunteered. To do the devotional for our district Men's Retreat for this coming weekend. The theme is "Dare," and will have a number of subtopics that fall under this overall rubric. It's interesting how God is using my preparation for a fifteen-minute devotional to challenge me in my own life. I guess it's a good thing; it's always better to speak from experience than from mere academic interest. I plan to challenge the men to take a risk for Jesus, to step out of their ordinary lives in response to the call of God. The problem is, my own life is usually pretty sedate. Since retiring last July, I've been wondering what God has next in store, but I can't say as I've really leaned into the question very hard. But as I've been preparing for my talk, the question is really pressing home. How can I call myself a disciple of Jesus Christ if I always play it safe? If nothing else, the Gospel is at least a call to live life large, to risk all for the sake of the Cross. We give this lip service, but I have to ask, "What have I ever done that has cost me for the sake of Christ?

The problem is, I haven't been able yet to discern the hand of God leading me in a particular direction. One thing however, has come to light. I am pretty much an introvert. I watch in amazement as people like pastor Joe engages people and is talking about Jesus before they know it. I ask myself, "Why can't you do that, Jim?" But when the opportunity presents itself, I find myself at a loss for words that will transition me from whatever the conversation is to where I'd like it to go.

But I drive a Ural.

People (usually men) walk up to it, walk around it, and if there are more than one, they gesture and talk about it. If I happen to be standing by it, they ask questions opening doors to conversations I would never otherwise have. I like the conversations, but introvert that I am, I haven't figured out how to make the transition from sidecars to salvation. So today, I wrote up a Gospel tract that tells a little about the Ural, its specs and history, transitioning to how God meets our deepest needs through faith in Christ. I can make the transition on paper much better than in actual conversation, and end up thanking the person for stopping by and giving me the opportunity to share Christ with them. I've been asking God for Kingdom-centered guidance, and tonight am thankful for his nudge in that direction.

1 comment:

  1. You've always played it safe? 30 Years in a country church as pastor is not exactly the easy choice. It is easy from not having to change, but it is bold and risky not to move on when the winds change, or when things got harder. Leading a church through a building program and a move? Leading a church into a pastoral transition and then leading out the other side as a member of the congregation (while letting the new pastor lead)? I'm not saying you don't need to continue to challenge yourself, but you have risked things for the kingdom of God. Probably why I enjoy reading and learning from your blog. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete