Friday, June 26, 2015

Plan B

June 26, 2015

Some days it might just be better to stay in bed. This morning the whole day stretched before me, a blank day on my calendar, which doesn't happen often. Of course, that doesn't account for the writer's group meeting that I totally forgot about until about 9:20. Oh well, that just meant the day was clearer than it should have been, so I got right to work. First on the to-do list was the mower deck. Wednesday evening when Linda fired up the old John Deere to mow the lawn, she made one pass before realizing that the blades weren't turning. The drive belt was working fine, which meant the problem was inside the deck. This morning, I removed it from the tractor, opened it up only to discover that it wasn't a simple issue like a broken belt. One of the pulleys had disintegrated, necessitating a trip to Tony's to see if it was worth fixing. Kyle looked it over and quoted me a price about half of what I expected to pay, so I left the deck there and headed home for project number two.

In order to properly wire the garage, a new line is required. Right now it only has a single 20 amp line for all the lights and receptacles. Plug in a jigsaw or fire up the compressor and the lights dim. Not wanting an overhead line between the house and garage, I needed to punch a hole in the basement wall of the house so we can run an underground cable between the two. The shortest distance between the house and garage was at the corner of the back room. Beneath it is an old bomb shelter, so it was there I chose to begin. With a three pound hammer I began to pound a three foot steel rod through the cement block wall. Even after burying the rod in the wall, I couldn't find where it was coming through. An hour and a half prying up the flagstones and digging around the foundation, and I still couldn't see the rod. In the basement, Linda's tapping on the rod revealed that I was digging in the wrong place by about three feet. I had forgotten to account for the fact that the back room juts out from the main house. This wasn't going to work; the day was a washout. No mower, no hole in the wall, no wire buried.

Whenever you find out what doesn't work, you're closer to what does. The day wasn't actually wasted; it was only frustrating. I've already figured out Plan B for the wiring, am grateful that my frustration doesn't define the day, and makes me wonder about the frustration I must cause God when I don't align with his plans. I'm glad whatever frustration I may give him doesn't cause him to give up on me. I may not fit into Plan A, but God always has a way of accomplishing his purposes. If Plan B is it for me, that's OK. If it's God's plan, it is good, and I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment