Saturday, February 17, 2024

Priestly Sin

 February 17, 2024

Someone once asked a preacher if it didn’t bother him that there were things in the Bible that he didn’t understand. “It’s not the things in the Bible I don’t understand that bother me,” he replied. “It’s the things I do understand that bother me.”


That’s how I feel about the Scripture I read this morning:


“If the anointed priest sins, bringing guilt on the people, then, concerning the sin that he has committed, he shall bring a young bull without defect for Yahweh as a sin offering.” —Leviticus 4:3 


When I was pastoring, this, more than any other Scripture bothered me. The thought that my sin would bring guilt upon those entrusted to my pastoral care scared me. It would be bad enough to someday have to stand before God and give account of myself; to be responsible for guilt I’ve brought upon others was almost more than I could stand. 


The worst words to hear would be for someone who sat under my teaching to say, “Your sin led me to sin.” I want someday to stand before God and be ab;e to say, “Here am I and the children whom the Lord has given me! (Isaiah 8:18).


No comments:

Post a Comment