Thursday, February 29, 2024

Caleb

 February 29, 2024

Today’s reading is from Numbers 13 and 14, where we learn the people of Israel refused to enter the Promised Land because they were afraid of its inhabitants. Only Caleb and Joshua gave a good report, saying, “Don’t rebel against the Lord, nor fear the people of the land, for they are our bread; their protection has departed from them, and the Lord is with us. Do not fear them.”—Numbers 14:9 


I’ve thought often about this chapter in Israel’s history. They had seen the power and protection of God; they had been delivered from slavery, guided through the wilderness, provided for when hungry and thirsty, all of which may have been part of the problem: They never shed their slave-mentality. They had been dependent so long that when offered the opportunity to take initiative, they choked.


It is common in church settings today to hear lots of talk about “safety,” or “safe places.” Given the toxic nature of much of what goes on in society, I understand such talk, but it is not the primary concern of the Bible. We are called to challenge the world, to invade a corrupt culture with the Gospel, to be willing to be in conflict with a debased and degenerate society. It can be a daunting task; the obstacles seem overwhelming. 


Twelve spies were sent into the Promised Land. They all saw the same things, but they didn’t have the same perspective. All the ten could see were the problems, the giants. Caleb and Joshua saw that these giants, though big, were powerless before them because the Lord was with Israel.


I confess that often I feel like the ten other spies, and would rather play it safe than to suit up and face the challenge before me. There’s a part of me that says, “This is for younger men,” and “Do you realize how hard this is going to be?” Eleven years ago when Linda wanted to buy the home we now occupy, I told her, “You see the finished product; all I see is the work it will take to get there.” 


But there is also a bit of Caleb within me, and even if I can’t get to the Promised Land myself, I want to be able to help someone else get there, by encouraging, assisting, and when possible, leading the way. We don’t get to see the end of the story until we read Joshua and hear Caleb say, “Give me this mountain!” I’m ready to go; my story begins here, but it will end on top of a mountain because God has given me a different spirit (Numbers 14:24).

No comments:

Post a Comment