Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Age and Wisdom

 February 20, 2024

In addition to these (almost) nightly musings, I’ve been sharing a weekly Scripture and a short commentary with my grandkids. It is a challenge, but hopefully helpful as they navigate trails they’ve never taken, but which are pretty well worn by the time you get to my age. 


Our culture is youth-obsessed. Historically, the aged were revered for their life experience and wisdom; today, people look to young media “influencers” as examples to follow. Anyone with enough technical savvy can generate thousands of followers on various social media platforms, often simply by doing stupid stuff. It doesn’t help that the technology moves faster than we gerontological denizens can manage. 


It is therefore puzzling to me that in the political sphere, we as a nation are battling tooth and nail for either one or the other presidential candidates who are well on their way to fossildom. What a crazy, mixed up world we live in!


I’ve given up imagining that I can change much of that, but though I cannot change the world, maybe the musings of someone whose shoes are wearing out with the journey can change the world for my grandkids and whoever else has their ear to a glass against the wall.


I can only hope that Proverbs 16:31 can be said of me: “The silver-haired head is a crown of glory, if it is found in the way of righteousness.”

No comments:

Post a Comment