Monday, May 1, 2023

Who Is Worthy?

May 1, 2023


Who (or what) is worthy of our best time and attention? As a Christian, the answer should be the Lord Jesus Christ, but in reality, does he get the best time and attention from me? Consider a normal day.


I get up, go to the bathroom for my morning routine. But I grab my phone on the way so I can eliminate all the junk emails. When that’s done, I’ve been in the habit of checking the responses on my Facebook posts. This morning as I showered, the thought occurred to me (which means God spoke to me) that checking those responses before I checked in with God was tantamount to worshipping myself instead of God. In doing so, I am looking for fulfillment in people’s responses instead of in hearing from God. 


When Satan tempted Jesus in the wilderness, he showed him all the kingdoms of the world, saying, “All this is yours if you bow down and worship me.” The temptation is subtle, but very effective: “Get your satisfaction, your ego boost from whatever the world has to offer.” For the past ten years, I’ve been consciously working on changing my perspective on life. It began with learning to give thanks in everything. To do that, I had to consciously focus on the good in life and to tune out all the garbage of the world.


I’ve found that it’s easier said than done. When I was a kid, we had an encyclopedia in  the bookshelf at the foot of our stairs. Whenever we were given history or scientific research assignments, I would pull out one of the volumes and begin to read. The problem was, once I found the information I was looking for, another article beckoned; then another and yet another. Before I knew it, an entire afternoon or evening was gone. It’s still a problem for me. There are so many interesting articles online that it’s easy for me to go from one to another, eating up time. 


But online articles aren’t necessarily God-focused, and the news, from whatever source it comes to us, is designed to unnerve, stir up fear and/or anger. It can be addictive, and it almost never is edifying. Instead of fulfilling, like a drug, it keeps us craving more. 


So…I’m engaging a new discipline, eschewing Facebook articles and even comments on mine, at least until after I’ve gotten my spiritual bearings from the Lord. There is nothing in this world worth worshipping, nothing worth my first and best attention. Jesus’ answer to the devil’s temptation is as true today as when he uttered the words, “It is written, “Worship the LORD your God, and him alone shall you serve.”” 

No comments:

Post a Comment