Sunday, May 14, 2023

Mother’s Day

 May 14, 2023

Days like today make me glad I’m retired and not preaching regularly anymore. The “special” days like Mother’s Day were always difficult for me, not because of anything my own mother did or didn’t do, but because these celebrations stir up so many different emotions. Honoring mothers and motherhood is a good and honorable thing, but the day can be very difficult for some. 


Being up on stage playing bass for our worship team gives me a bird’s-eye view of the congregation gathered. I noticed tears as well as nods of affirmation, and know that today is not all joy and happiness. Preaching, it’s hard to minister to the wide variety of emotions elicited by Mother’s Day. I always came away feeling that no matter what I said, someone was missed, sitting alone in her grief or regret, or that there were people whose mothers fell so far short of the ideal that every year the wound was opened once more.


I am grateful that the responsibility of bringing the Word of God to bear on such varying situations falls on someone else’s shoulders. A woman in our church posted something this afternoon that says what I have felt, but which is hard to preach effectively:


“Sending love to everyone on Mother’s Day: Moms. Moms to be. Moms trying to conceive. Those who have lost their moms. Step moms. Moms who have lost a child. Those who stand in as moms. For those with painful mom relationships. Those with two moms. Those learning to forgive their moms. For those with loving mom relationships. Those waiting to be forgiven by a mom.” I would add, “Moms living with regret.”


Each different scenario is in need of a special grace, a different touch of God’s love, a unique word or touch. As I write, there are moms living on the streets, weary with addiction, moms living in fear of an abusive spouse or boyfriend, moms weeping in prison, hoping against hope for that visit or phone call that never comes.


I was blessed with a wonderful mom. I am married to a wonderful mom. My daughter is a wonderful mom, as are my daughters-in-law. My life is richer because of the women in my life, but I know not everyone can say this. So instead of preaching on Mother’s Day, I get to offer my prayers for those who celebrate with joy, and for those who weep quietly in the night. May God fill you with peace and joy in believing; May Jesus Christ be to you both Savior and Comforter, One who rejoices when you rejoice, but who also weeps when you weep.


No comments:

Post a Comment