Friday, May 19, 2023

Think Differently!

 May 19, 2023

St. Paul’s letter to the Romans is considered by most Biblical scholars to be the pinnacle of his  theological ruminations, and chapter 8 to me is the pinnacle of Romans. I must confess he loses me in chapters 6 and 7 when he talks about reckoning ourselves to be dead to sin. I found that no matter how much I did that, sin remained very much alive in me. Paul even admits such when at the end of chapter seven he says that because he still did bad things he didn’t want to do, and failed to do the good he should do, it was the sin doing it, not he himself. I could (and probably am) completely misunderstanding his logic, but it’s never been convincing to me to shift the blame to sin as a separate entity. If any theologians are reading this, I welcome your enlightenment.


 Chapter 8 is where it all comes alive to me when he speaks of the mind, ie, how we think. I am very familiar with the power of our thinking to effect major change for good or ill. I am convinced that much of our modern ills are due to our faulty thinking, even as Christians. Stand in the narthex or lobby of any church and listen to the conversations taking place. I would wager that very few center on the blessings and goodness of God, on our salvation, and our passion to see people come to Christ. Instead, we talk of the last game, the weather, the boss or teacher, politics; and rarely are these conversations uplifting. Instead, we complain about everything, repeatedly rehearsing all the ills of life. No wonder we live defeated and depressed lives! About all this, Paul simply says, 


“Those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.” —Romans 8:5-6 


What I set my mind upon determines whether or not I enjoy life and peace, which is why ten years ago, I began to take seriously the Bible’s command to “give thanks in everything, for this is God’s will in Christ Jesus for you” (1 Thessalonians 5:18). I’ve learned that most of the melancholy that plagued me for so many years was in essence, my own fault, because I was disobeying this clear command to give thanks. 


If these Scriptures still don’t make crystal clear our responsibility to take charge of our thinking, consider Philippians 4:4-8.


“Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.” —Philippians 4:4-8 


Lastly, I must consider the Gospel command to repent. This command is sprinkled throughout the Gospels, on the lips of John the Baptist, Jesus, Peter, and Paul. The word isn’t what so many believe about it. It isn’t about weeping and wailing in sorrow for our sins, although that may happen. The word simply means “to change one’s mind.” In other words, to stop thinking the negative, selfish, greedy, lustful, vengeful, and defeatist thoughts that so often occupy our thinking, and begin thinking the way the Gospel commands, rejoicing, giving thanks, looking to Jesus. We cannot do this by ourselves, which is why in Christ, God has given us the Holy Spirit, enabling us to do what we otherwise were incapable of doing:


“For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.” —Romans 8:3-4 


I can act and feel differently because I can think differently, and that, because God in Christ treated me differently than I deserve. For that, I am thankful tonight!


No comments:

Post a Comment