Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Give Me the Mountain!

 May 3, 2023

It’s been awhile. I don’t get to preach as often as I once did, so when the opportunity comes, there’s a part of me that hesitates. I know how much work it is. But there is also that part of me that tingles with excitement at the challenge of presenting the Word of God to the people of God. It’s a daunting task; these days, I’m asked to fill in for vacationing or ill pastors in churches where I don’t know the people, their hopes, dreams, fears, or failures. Discerning what needs to be said to people I don’t know is the hardest part.


But if the Scripture I proclaim is true, then I must believe that God has truly given me everything I need for life and godliness, including the wisdom and ability to hit the target of his people’s hearts. I get my chance Sunday.


I’ve been thinking about Caleb. By the time Israel finally got into the Promised Land, he was an old man—85 years, to be exact. But his enthusiasm hadn’t diminished from 45 years earlier when he, along with Joshua, came back from their spying expedition to say, “Let’s go! We can do this!” The bad report of the other 10 spies torpedoed things back then; Caleb must have been extremely disappointed. Other people’s unbelief kept him from getting what he wanted and could have had. For 45 years, he dreamed of that land. And now, he gets his chance.


Have you ever had a dream so vivid you could almost taste it, a fire that burned within? And then had it blow up in your face because of someone else’s interference? That was Caleb, but instead of living in bitterness and thoughts of what might have been, he determined to be faithful till the end. And when he finally got his chance, his words were direct: “Give me that mountain!” He told Joshua he was as strong as he had been 45 years ago; I suspect that was his heart speaking for his body, which might have disputed his sentiments. But it is the condition of the heart that wins the day. 


He told Joshua that the word he had brought back 45 years ago was what was in his heart Joshua 14:7). In 45 years, that word had never left him: “We can do this!” That’s how I feel tonight. I’ve not had to wait 45 years. 45 days is enough, and I am eager to conquer that mountain. As long as I feed it, the fire burns as brightly as ever, so I am diving into the Scriptures and digging into prayer. My prayer is simple. “God, give me that mountain!”

No comments:

Post a Comment