Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Gifts

 May 10, 2023

“Spiritual gifts” are all the rage in evangelical Christian circles. Numerous surveys and tests purport to be able to help Christians discover their gifting, which will lead to a more fulfilling, satisfying Christian experience. I remember when it all began back in 1972 with Ray Stedman’s book, “Body Life.” Since then, I imagine you could fill a small library with the books and workbooks dealing with the subject.


Much of it has been incredibly helpful for people as they learn to live according to the things they are good at instead of according to other peoples’ notions of what authentic Christian living looks like. There is however, a problem with this approach. It can become quite narcissistic, with Christians refusing to serve or minister anywhere but in their perceived area of giftedness. For some people, the receiving of a spiritual gift is an end in itself, designed to bless the recipient instead of being a tool for serving others in Jesus’ name.


The apostle Paul didn’t make this mistake. He wrote more than anyone else on the subject off spiritual gifts, but in his letter to the Roman Christians, he outlines the various gifts only towards the end of his letter. At the very outset however, he states the purpose of the gifts.


In 1:11, he says, “I long to….impart to you some spiritual gift, that you may be established.” Later when he speaks of the gift of tongues, he says he is glad he speaks in tongues more than any of them, but here, the focus is not on himself. He realizes that the gifts he received weren’t his to hoard, but to give away, and not only that, but he gives so others’ faith may be firmly established in the power and grace of Jesus Christ.


Reading these verses this morning, two questions came to mind: “What gift(s) have I been given,” and, “What is the best way to pass them along to others?” How can I match my gifts with the needs of those to whom God sends me?


Your gift may be encouragement. Look around you; who needs encouragement today?

Your gift may be discernment. Who in your life is struggling with trying to figure out their life’s purpose? If your gift is service, who is in need of practical help? And if your gift is generosity, who needs the blessing you can provide?


When I think of my friends in Cuba, I long to be with them, to as Paul says, be mutually encouraging to each other. So I ask myself, “What gift do I have that fits their need at this moment in time? And what gift does God want to give me through them? None of this is primarily about me; it’s about lifting high the Cross and blessing someone else with what God has placed in my life. In so doing, the blessing always returns, “pressed down, shaken together, and running over.” (Luke 6:38)


No comments:

Post a Comment