Monday, May 22, 2023

Angelic Siren’s Song

 May 22, 2023

It was as clear as day even though it was the middle of the night; a faint rising and falling sound, like a choir in perfect harmony singing without words, swelling to a crescendo before fading to an almost silence. Lying in bed listening, even without my hearing aids the music thrummed in the distance with a heavenly sound that made me wonder what was happening.


Earlier in the evening in our small group, we talked about eternity and the realization that it could come for any one of us sooner than we expected, which makes every moment worth redeeming. Now in the darkness, I wondered if my time had come. As I listened intently, the choir kept up its wordless song, beckoning me with silky smooth harmonies that floated gently through the night air.


I was wider awake now, looking around me in the darkness, checking to see if my phone and the TV were off. Linda lay beside me, her breathing methodical and steady as my eyes strained to gather enough light to see the blanket rising and falling in rhythmic time to the music. It wasn’t coming in through anything electronic. 


Suddenly, the music stopped. I blinked myself awake and realized I had been hearing the blaring of our village’s fire siren, screaming from half a mile away. Someday, that siren may be the last earthly sound I hear before angelic choirs take over. Our night’s lesson on eternity may have colored my mind’s perception of what these admittedly faulty ears picked up in the midnight hour. I am thankful the angels are still waiting to sing me their welcome home song, and for tonight’s lesson that reminded me to begin choir practice here and now.


No comments:

Post a Comment