Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Praise and Thanksgiving

 December 14, 2022

I wonder if I’m alone in feeling a bit uncomfortable with the idea of praising God. Not that he isn’t worthy of our praise, but somehow, telling God how wonderful he is feels to me a bit hokey, especially if it’s repetitive with increasing emphasis. Not that it happens that often, but I get embarrassed when someone praises me.


Giving thanks however, is another matter altogether. I’ve been practicing this for some years now, and it always feels appropriate to do so. I’ve read plenty of Christian literature that tells me I ought to do both, but the one still feels fake to me.


This morning’s reading in “Daily Light” was a tremendous help to me in this matter, explaining clearly how to praise God in a way I can manage. It’s straight out of Scripture; Hebrews 13:15.


“By him (Jesus Christ) let us continually offer the sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of our lips, giving thanks to his name.” 


There it is: praise and thanksgiving are essentially one and the same! Why have I not seen this before? Every time I give thanks, I am praising God! Thank you, Lord, for your Word! It convicts, but also enlightens and lifts unnecessary burdens from my shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment