Tuesday, December 27, 2022

One Thing

 December 27, 2022

“One thing I have desired of the Lord, 

That will I seek: 

That I may dwell in the house of the Lord 

All the days of my life, 

To behold the beauty of the Lord, 

And to inquire in His temple. 

When You said, “Seek My face,” 

My heart said to You, “Your face, Lord, I will seek.” 

Wait on the Lord; 

Be of good courage, 

And He shall strengthen your heart; 

Wait, I say, on the Lord!”

—Psalm 27:4, 8, 14 


There are too many things in this life which interest me. I love making music even though I’m not particularly talented with it. I love playing my bass, but I also love working with my bees and riding my sidecar motorcycle. I love spending time with my wife and my family; I like getting together with friends and love a good sermon. I like woodworking, refinishing old furniture, reading, and watching a good mystery on TV. And this is only the beginning. 


I am fascinated by history and archaeology, am working hard to learn Spanish so I can minister more effectively in Cuba. I love their coffee, by the way. I tried one of their cigars years ago, and cannot understand why anyone would pay good money for one.


It took me a couple days, but recently I finished reading a biography of Charles Cowman, the founder of the Oriental Mission Society. From the time he was converted as a young man until his untimely death some twenty-five years later, he was passionate about only one thing—winning souls, ie, bringing people to Christ. This passion consumed his days and often even his nights as he wrestled in prayer for the lost. He and his young wife sailed to Japan around the turn of the century, where he labored to the point of his health breaking down from the pace with which he drove himself to take the Gospel to everyone in the nation. The last ten years of his life were spent back in the US, writing, raising support for the mission, and praying for the work. He had neither hobby nor pastime, literally burning out for Christ at the age of fifty-six.


His biography has made me consider my own life, which is often torn in so many directions that it’s hard to accomplish a single task in a day. This morning’s Psalm highlighted my dilemma: “One thing I have desired of the LORD…” I’m not certain I can say that with any degree of integrity. It is a standard I aspire to, but haven’t attained. It’s only possible to say “One thing” when all the other things have been abandoned. So I have my work cut out for me. I’m not sure it’s the right course of action to completely narrow my interests, but doing so would at least cut down on the options. 


We like to keep our options open, but sooner or later, must choose if we are to accomplish anything. The young man who insists on keeping his options open will never marry and know the depths of love possible. Such a life comes only to those who narrow their options and make a choice. So tonight, “One thing” is on my mind; I’m trying to figure out how it is to play itself out in daily life. So I begin in prayer, asking God to show me just how this is going to work. I believe he will do so, because seeking his face is what he wants of me. And you.

No comments:

Post a Comment