Saturday, August 20, 2022

What is Real

 August 20, 2022

Linda LOVES all things Christmas, so I took a bit of a detour on our way home Thursday from visiting our long-time friends Howie and Sue so we could stop at the Evolve Christmas Store in Lyons, NY. Right in the center of a quaint village, the store sports about 10,000 square feet of rather unique Christmas decor. It’s not the usual ornaments and lights, and Linda was delighted. It was an enjoyable detour, but at one point as I slowly strolled through the displays, I was overcome with an incredible sadness.


Everything there was beautiful, much of it nostalgic, but as I walked, the emptiness of it all descended upon me. Christmas is often touted as the “happiest time of the year,” when we dream of peace on earth, goodwill to men, but if it goes no deeper than Santas and snowmen, there is no hope for mankind. None of the nice things we looked at has the ability to nourish the empty soul; none of it can produce the peace and joy for which we long. It’s all just so much stuff. 


We bought a few items, mostly gifts for others, then continued on our way, stopping once again in Churchville to visit my brother and sister in law, and granddaughters Alex and Abi. My brother had written me last week to let me know they are praying for Nate and us, and to make sure I knew he is available if I ever need to talk. My brother is a man of few words, so his letter, and the time we spent together was life to me. 


When Abi’s husband Jake got home from work, we headed out to a restaurant for dinner where we sat for two hours, talking, eating, and laughing together. That emptiness inside I had felt earlier began to give way to the deep satisfaction of the love we shared around the table. The things of this world cannot fill the soul’s need for deep communion with another person. What filled me up wasn’t just our conversation, but our connection in Jesus Christ. Every person I’ve mentioned loves and follows Jesus. His Spirit in them connects with his Spirit in us, making our  bonds even stronger and deeper. I am grateful tonight for the contrast we experienced that placed in stark contrast the emptiness of this world and the love we have found in Christ.


No comments:

Post a Comment