Thursday, August 25, 2022

In the Grip of Grace

August 25, 2022

“Remember.” In Exodus 12, God delivered the Israelites from bondage in Egypt, parting the Red Sea so they could walk on dry ground before causing the waters to collapse upon Pharaoh’s army, drowning his horses and chariots with their soldiers. In chapter 13, they are commanded to observe the Feast of Unleavened Bread to remind them of where they had been and what God had done for them.



“And Moses said to the people: “Remember this day in which you went out of Egypt, out of the house of bondage; for by strength of hand the Lord brought you out of this place. No leavened bread shall be eaten.” (13:3)


As I’ve been pondering God’s question to Adam (“Where are you?”), it occurs to me that where I am at any given moment is meaningful only in relation to where I’ve been and where I’m going. For me to know where I’ve been, I need to remember, which is exactly what God commanded his people to do. It’s a pretty common command in the Bible, occurring some 144 times. 


This much I know: There was a time when I didn’t know Jesus, and didn’t want to know him. I was happy going my own way. Some people tell how their lives were a mess till Jesus came and cleaned it all up. My testimony is just the reverse: My life was just fine till Jesus invaded it and messed it all up. But I wouldn’t have it any other way. A messy life with Jesus is better than an orderly life without him. 


I remember the night I first believed; I remember the day I said “yes” to his call to a life of Christian service; I remember my failures and Jesus’ faithfulness and forgiveness. I remember grace upon grace which has brought me from where I was to where I am. I’m not finished; God isn’t done with me yet. When that day finally comes, I believe I’ll be closer to Christ and more yielded to him, more bold in my witness, more gracious and generous in my relationships than i am today. I am not where I was, and not yet where I will be, but through it all I know where I am: I am in Jesus Christ, who holds me in the grip of his grace. Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment