Monday, August 1, 2022

Dusk

 August 1, 2022

I’m sitting in the cool of the evening under the lights on the deck behind our garden shed. Twilight is slowly fading into dusky darkness, the peepers are tuning it up, and it’s as peaceful a spot as you’ll find most anywhere. 


Sometimes I feel almost guilty over the blessings I’ve received. Why wasn’t I born into poverty, a child of abusive or neglectful parents, plagued with addiction or disability? In our part of the world, we wouldn’t be considered rich, but compared to many places I’ve been, we are wealthy beyond measure. And even here in our country, we enjoy a wealth money cannot buy. Linda and I have loved each other for over fifty years, have three children who are raising their children to be Christ-followers. We gather together for Sunday dinners, birthdays, and holidays, talking, laughing, enjoying each other’s company. 


It’s not all sweetness and light; we’ve often had to keep our mouths shut, and like any family, have had issues to work through, but we’ve done it, and continue to do it. Besides all that, we are surrounded by friends who love and support us, and know the peace of sins forgiven and the hope and purpose that is ours because Jesus Christ died for us and rose from the grave on the third day. I am tonight overwhelmed and filled with gratitude for all God has done for us.


No comments:

Post a Comment