Saturday, February 5, 2022

Seeing and Believing

 February 5, 2022

On at least three occasions, we read of St. Paul having had visions where he saw the Lord. Acts 9 records his encounter with Jesus on the Damascus Road, in 1 Corinthians 15, he himself speaks of the risen Jesus having appeared to him, and in 2 Corinthians 12, he recalled a time he had some sort of heavenly experience. 


How amazingly wonderful those experiences must have been! It’s no wonder he was so determined to spread the Gospel no matter what the cost. In 2 Corinthians 1 and 11, Paul tells of some of the suffering he had endured, which he no doubt was able to handle due to the magnificence of his visions of heaven. I’ve never had any such experience, although I’ve know people who have. I’ve often wondered what it must be like to have a spiritual encounter that was so profound as to make the things of this life seem worthless by comparison.


After his resurrection, Jesus appeared to Doubting Thomas (as he has become known to us) with these words: “Blessed are those who have not seen, yet believe.” That would be me. I am willing to forgo the foretaste of heaven in the pleasantness of my life here, as long as the ultimate blessing is not denied me. I have been richly blessed in this life, but don’t want my life to be a “Rich man and Lazarus” story. By the grace of Christ, it won’t be, and perhaps my experience, or in a sense, lack thereof, can be an encouragement for others who have not had dramatic conversions or spiritual experiences. God loves us all, and his salvation is available to all who believe, not merely those who experience or feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment