Sunday, February 20, 2022

My Sphere

  February 20, 2022

I make a lot of mistakes, miss notes in my runs, but I still love playing upright bass for our worship team! I’m glad our church isn’t so large that a hack like me wouldn’t have a chance to do something I love so much. None of us are professionals, but all of us love what we’re doing, and never forget that we’re not performers; we’re worship leaders. If we aren’t worshipping, we can’t lead the congregation, so it’s more than notes and lyrics. It’s heart. So we begin with God’s Word and prayer. 


A couple weeks ago, I was asked if I were available to preach today. I checked my schedule and reported back that I was on team. Don’t get me wrong—I love to preach, but I also love playing bass and fulfilling the Scripture that tells us to make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Not every note I play is particularly musical, but it is always noisy. God knows, I bring to him an imperfect and often divided heart, laden with imperfections, but also a heart grateful for new life, forgiveness, and joy.


“Praise Him with stringed instruments” says Psalm 150:4. My bass sat for 30 years in the cooler of a deli in Pittsburgh, waiting for me to buy it and fulfill its destiny in praise. Paul wrote to the Corinthian Christians that he would only boast within the limits of the sphere which God appointed us.” (2 Cor. 10:13). Both my bass and myself have found our appointed sphere, and I am grateful for the privilege of serving in it. It was a good morning for me; I hope I helped make it a good morning for someone else today.

No comments:

Post a Comment