Thursday, February 3, 2022

Cold Knees

 February 3, 2022

My knees are cold. After driving to Buffalo and back, the predicted storm descended upon us, with predictable results. The drive up to Buffalo wasn’t bad; the roads were pretty clear, and I was able to finish my business without incident. The same couldn’t be said for others. I passed an overturned semi, a jackknifed semi, a van flipped upside down with airbags deployed, another van slid off the exit ramp, and a Jeep and sedan slid into the median on the Thruway.


And the roads weren’t really bad. I got home safely, and Linda had supper waiting. Afterward, she decided to bake some cookies to take to our daughter in law, which was when the trouble began. She couldn’t get the headlights to come on. We leave them on automatic, but the switch got bumped. Problem solved; she got in the car, I went back inside. A few minutes later, she was at the front door.


The storm had by now dropped about eight inches of snow, and not expecting to go out tonight, I didn’t plow when I got home. She drove off the edge of the driveway and was stuck. No amount of pushing made any difference, and as I examined what I could see of the undercarriage, I couldn’t find any place to secure a tow chain. A Prius may be technologically advanced, but technology doesn’t get you out of a snowbank.


Despite all this, we are blessed. Even under the worst of circumstances, it’s better to be stuck in our driveway than out on the road. She called our son Matt (Nate, who lives closer, has been having trouble with his back, and so was bypassed), and pastor Joe. Small town life has many benefits, especially when family lives nearby and we have so many connections with people from the church. They had us out in a jiffy. I spent the next hour plowing the driveway, which is why my knees are cold. But my heart is warmed by the love and kindness of all the people in our lives who are wiling on a moment’s notice to help us out of a jam. Cold knees and a warm home and heart. It’s a good combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment