Friday, February 4, 2022

Heavenly Minded

 February 4, 2022

An old saying occasionally pops up in conversations, sermons, and social media: “Don’t be so heavenly minded that you’re no earthy good.” It’s used by Christians who think of the Gospel primarily in terms of how it impacts people here and now as a critique of Christians who focus on the life to come. 


I remember the evening services I attended as a teenager at Westside Baptist Church. They were termed evangelistic services, but were primarily hymn sings with a sermon at the end. Ozzie Palmer or Al Orgar would lead the singing, waving their arms conductor-like, while Mrs. Ellis accompanied on piano or organ. Special music was usually offered by a ladies’ trio, someone playing an instrument, or the male quartet of Ozzie Palmer, Merle Silver, Al Orgar, and Chuck Bassett.


The congregation sang heartily, often songs about heaven: “When We All Get to Heaven,” “When the Roll is Called up Yonder,” “O That Will Be Glory for Me,” “In the Sweet Bye and Bye,” “Beyond the Sunset,” — the list goes on and on. 


What strikes me about this is it seems the more heavenly minded we were, the more earthly good we did, because eternity was never out of mind; every moment here counted. When preachers don’t preach on eternity, we tend to forget the significance of time.


I’ve heard Christians say that even if heaven were a myth, it would be worth it here and now to be a Christian, but this wasn’t St. Paul’s view. In 1 Corinthians 15:19, he says, “If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most pitiable.” The older I get, the more I think of heaven. I’m not sure what to expect. I would think streets of gold are figurative or imaginative—a way of telling us how magnificent it will be, but I don’t expect to be sitting on a cloud playing a harp.


According to Paul and Jesus, we will be known and recognized, but relationships will be different, with no marriages as per Matthew 22:30, and a great reversal of fortune as per Luke 16. Most importantly, we will be with Jesus in the presence of God the Father. All else pales in comparison to this, but it begs the question: If I am not interested in spending time with Christ here, what makes me think I’ll be excited about doing so in eternity?” 


A second question is just as important, and was posed by Penn Jillette, of magician fame, who asked, “If you believe in heaven and hell, and that those who don’t believe will end up spending eternity in hell, how much do you have to hates someone to not warn him?” 


Both these questions haunt me, as I get so easily distracted in my prayer and devotional life, and tend to be hesitant in boldly sharing my faith. I have a long way to go; may God grant me the years to do better at both these earthly tasks with the heavenly stakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment