Sunday, January 31, 2021

Heaven

 January 31, 2021

Park church’s most recent sermon series is billed as “Endless,” with sermons on the reality of eternity, of heaven, and of hell. Pastor Joe this morning spoke about what he considers the error of thinking believers will spend eternity in heaven, instead presenting the case for us living on a new earth. 


I’m not particularly adept at advanced theology; frankly, most of it bores me. I’ve read some pretty heady stuff, both theologically and philosophically, but most of it seems to me designed to impress the less educated with big foreign words. It’s not that I don’t have opinions about all of it, but most of the time, I think pretty simply. My mantra for such things is, “Well...it’s a pretty deep subject for such a shallow mind.” So here’s what I think about heaven. Get ready to be impressed. Or not.


Heaven is wherever Jesus is. It doesn’t matter to me if it’s here on earth, or somewhere beyond the galaxies. Heaven is not as much a place as it is a Person. That’s why it’s so important to get to know him here and now. If I am not particularly interested in knowing Christ better here, what makes me think I’m going to want to spend eternity with him? Here, as St. Paul says, “we see in a glass dimly.” Mirrors back then were made of polished brass. You might see your reflection, but not in the vibrant colors and clear lines we know today. Our knowledge of Christ is like that—a dim reflection of the reality that awaits. Here, there is much to distract; competition for our attention and affection. The day is coming when all that diminishes and detracts will be removed, and we will experience the full glory of his presence. THAT is what heaven is all about. Debate all the other stuff, if you will, but I’m not interested. Knowing Jesus fully is my goal. Someday, I’ll get there. Where it is doesn’t matter. Who it is is all that matters.


No comments:

Post a Comment