Wednesday, January 6, 2021

An Ordinary Day

 January 6, 2021

It’s often a challenge to come up with something to write about. Big events swirl around us; our country will undoubtedly swerve hard to the left, now that the presidency and both houses of Congress are in Democrat hands. Some are rejoicing; many are worried about the accelerated shrinking of our liberties we see as government engulfs more and more of our lives. I was apparently unusually quiet at dinner tonight; Linda asked me if I were worried about the Georgia election. I’m not surprised, and I’m not particularly worried. My concern is the kind of world my grandkids will inherit, but I have to decide if I really believe God is in control. If I don’t believe this, I might as well stop writing.


Compared to the seismic changes happening all around us, the small concerns of my little world seem almost petty, except for one thing: Life is made up of small things. Without the microscopic, the macro world wouldn’t exist. So I engage each day the best I know how, with gratitude, integrity, and diligence. 


Today, I went to the dentist to get a tooth crowned. I was surprised at how quick and simple the procedure was, and am thankful to have insurance and the money to pay the bill. I bought a portable compressor to power my pneumatic stapler for assembling bee equipment before coming home to tape and paint the laundry room. That being accomplished, I trimmed out one window. Tonight is our village board meeting, and tomorrow, I hope to get started on the other windows and start installing the flooring so I can move the washer and dryer in. Not one of these activities is world-shaking. Nobody’s world would have come crashing down if I hadn’t done one or more of them. But if I had instead parked myself on the couch to watch TV all afternoon, something evil would have happened.


If this last statement sounds a bit melodramatic, consider that life is made of choices. A small deviation today may not look like much, but in hunting or target shooting, a tiny shift at the end of the muzzle will send the bullet wide of the mark. If I want to be like Christ; if I want to come to the end of my earthly journey with integrity, the small things I do today are important. I may not score a bullseye, but I at least want to leave my marks on the paper. Too many people today are shooting first, then painting the target around wherever the bullet hits. It looks good, but is as fake as today’s news.


It has been a busy, unstressful, productive day. Whatever happens elsewhere, I can stand today before my God and say I have not squandered the strength he has given me, and humbly present this ordinary day back to him with gratitude for the grace I have been given in Christ.


No comments:

Post a Comment