Sunday, January 10, 2021

Discipline

 January 10, 2021

Sunday school this morning began a series on hope and discipline. The two are connected. Hope without discipline is little more than wishful thinking. Whether it is losing weight, exercising more, or reading our Bibles daily, it is all mere pipe dreams unless we actually commit to a regular plan and schedule for the changes we want to see. So we were challenged to think of one discipline in our lives we need to work on; mine was prayer. I’ve often felt as if my prayers were little more than a laundry list of things I want God to do; while I’ve had times when I felt my spirit soaring in prayer, those times have been far fewer than I would like to admit. 


This afternoon, I began. It is easy for me to read the Bible and rush off to whatever needs to be done for the day, but this afternoon, I just sat for an hour or so, slowly and calmly going through my prayer list—the people and situations that are regularly on my mind. The difference today was the “slowly and calmly.” As I recalled each name, I didn’t always have a specific request, and even when I did, it was usually pretty simple: healing, guidance, salvation, relationships, etc. I don’t often know much detail about the people and circumstances for which I am praying, so I simply held their names before the Lord before going on to the next one. By the time I was finished, I noticed something I hadn’t noticed before: I felt a connection with God that wasn’t there when I started. I hadn’t been telling God what to do about the situations or for these people; it was as if God and I were sitting side by side thinking about and blessing those who came to mind. We were partners in grace, and in giving it through prayer, I received it myself.


For what it’s worth, my prayer list includes people I’ve never met and whose values are far different than mine; public figures whom I presented to God without any agenda. It is a good thing to release them into the care of the almighty, holy, just, and loving God, blessing them in the name of Christ. Not only does such prayer release them; it also sets me free. 


One prayer does not a discipline make. Tomorrow is another day. Discipline often requires accountability beyond our own commitments. I have three young men who will hold my feet to the fire, and in so doing, will help me be a better Christian. Nate, Matt, and Bob, I’m counting on you! Don’t let me off easy. I’ll do the same for you, and at the end of this study, all four of us will with thanksgiving reflect more clearly the image of Jesus to our families, our church, and the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment