Monday, January 4, 2021

Comfortable Faith

 January 4, 2021

The new year has begun, but for many, last year’s old worries and fears haven’t been left behind. Even some who profess faith in Christ are almost paralyzed by fear. It’s understandable. This past year has brought a pandemic, government more intent on fighting each other than actually governing, a contentious presidential race, and a biased media that no one trusts. We’re used to beginning a new year that was more or less predictable. Our world was predictable. Our lives were predictable...comfortable. Not anymore. 


Faith isn’t needed when life is predictable. When I can be pretty sure about what is going to happen, faith is superfluous. I don’t need faith to cross the street. I would need plenty of it to cross a canyon on a tightrope. 


This morning’s devotional reading included this line: “You’ll never learn faith in comfortable surroundings.” I can’t say I particularly like the sound of that, but I know it’s true. If my faith only holds up in the sunshine, it’s not really faith at all. Only if my faith holds me steady in the storm can I actually claim to have faith. A boat that only looks good on dry land isn’t much of a boat. Any leaky tub can keep you high and dry on land.


I have no desire to seek out difficult circumstances. They’ll find me easily enough. But when they come, I have a choice: I can either curl up into an emotional fetal position, run away, or face it head on with courage. I like comfort, but if I want to live faithfully, literally “full of faith,” I will not avoid discomfort. I have 361 days to practice. Hopefully, there will be some comfortable days, but when the uncomfortable ones come my way, by the grace of God, I will learn a bit more what it means to have faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment