Friday, January 8, 2021

Bass Notes

 January 8, 2021

“Hi pastor Jim! I wanted to double check with you and see if you were still interested in teaching SOTA (School of the Arts) this semester, and then also see if you still wanted to teach bass or if you were interested in teaching another class!” When Katie texted me this message earlier this week, I responded by telling her I would be happy to teach bass again.


You must understand that when agreeing to teach, you only have to be one step ahead of the student. When it comes to bass, I am barely adequate, and with upright bass, I am a rank beginner. But I am one step ahead of someone who has never touched the instrument.


I continued my response to Katie. “As for other classes, if anyone were interested in upright bass, I would be willing to teach that.” I had barely finished hitting send when the response came: “Oh that’s awesome! If I wasn’t teaching, I would LOVE to take upright! I always thought it was so cool!”


“It could be arranged,” I answered. She is excited, and I am happy to share what little knowledge I have. As I’ve said many times before, I am living proof that one doesn’t have to be a good musician to appreciate good music. Or even to play it. I am thankful for the opportunity to encourage Katie. She can build on her foundation of keyboard and vocals to become an even more versatile member of the worship team. St. Paul told Timothy to stir up the gift that was given him. Katie is doing just that, and I get to be the stirrer, blessing both of us, and maybe a whole bunch of people, along the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment