Thursday, November 12, 2020

Winning

 November 12, 2018

Sometimes the winner doesn’t come in first. Let me explain. Our granddaughters Izzi and Jo were quadruple winners at the county swim meet tonight. Izzi took first place in the 200 individual medley and the 500 freestyle, while Jo took first in the 50 and 100 freestyle. Both were on the winning 200 and 400 freestyle relays. We are so very proud of the hard work they’ve put in, and the accomplishments they’ve made. 


But there was another winner tonight. She didn’t take the spotlight, didn’t post a winning time. In fact, she was dead last in her event. Because I was a timer, I got a front row seat, and saw it as no one else did. She was a bit pudgy, and when the buzzer sounded, her dive was a perfect belly flop, followed by wild flailing through the water. Four lengths...I wasn’t sure she would make it. She couldn’t do a flip turn; instead, grabbing the edge of the pool like the true beginner she was. But in my book, she was a winner. As she stepped onto the starting block, she flashed a big smile and exclaimed, “I’m having so much fun!” 


Her enthusiasm reminded me of Eddy the Eagle, the British ski jumper who came in dead last in the 1988 Olympics, but won the hearts of the fans with his enthusiasm. Winning is hot just about taking firs place; it is a matter of the heart. Gold medals are mere discs; the accolades fade, and names that captured our imagination one moment are forgotten the next. But this young lady knew as few people do, the joy of the contest, of improving her own ability, of being a part of something that captured her imagination. My granddaughters will have their names in the paper, but this girl whose name I don’t know was just as much a winner in my book. I wish her well, and am grateful tonight for her reminder to me of what really matters.


No comments:

Post a Comment