Monday, November 16, 2020

A Dream

 November 16, 2020


A dream without a plan is only a wish. And a plan without action is nothing. For a couple years now, I’ve been encouraged by friends to put my nightly musings into book form. I’ve started and stopped a dozen times; editing is harder than writing, deciding what is worth including and what needs to be left behind, and I’m no further along today than I was last year when I set a goal to finally get it done. 


“Ready, Set, Dream” is a class my son leads to help people identify and accomplish life goals. After listening to the ravings of those who’ve taken the class, I decided to give it a try myself. It is rewarding to be challenged and humbled by one’s offspring; tonight, in addition to compiling a list of our goals, Nate had us organize them by ETA—estimated time of arrival: one, five, and ten year goals. He then talked about the significance of small adjustments up front that can make a big difference down the road. There was a lot more to the class, but the important part was the ending; our commitment to take the first step tomorrow. It doesn’t have to be a big step, but it must be taken. So, tomorrow, I begin...again. Even if nothing I read turns out to be worth using in a book, I’ll have taken a step. My goal? To have 365 pages by the end of 2021.


It’ll be a lot of work, but the dream has a plan, and tomorrow it begins. I am thankful tonight for my son, who challenges his father to be the best and do the most he can to fulfill a dream that has been sleeping for too long.


No comments:

Post a Comment