Monday, November 2, 2020

Winners and Losers

 November 2, 3020


Millions of people will wake up soon delighted with the outcome of our presidential elections. Millions more will wake up disappointed. Whoever is elected president, many of the Christian persuasion will be convinced God’s will has been done, and many others will wonder how God could have allowed such a travesty to have taken place. We all will vote according to our consciences, but we must remember that our consciences do not necessarily reflect God’s will. Neither do elections. God’s will is not open to popular vote. It never has been, never will be. 


During the American Civil War, someone once remarked to Lincoln to the effect that God was on the Union’s side. Lincoln responded by saying that the important thing was not whose side God was on, but whether or not he was on God’s side. The same is true today, so lest we become arrogant if our choice wins, or despondent if our man loses, we would do well to remember that God’s will is not a particular candidate, but “ to “to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with [our] God.” —Micah 6:8 NKJV


Jesus taught us to pray, “Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven” because it isn’t yet happening, and will not magically start happening with the next administration. God’s will is spelled out quite clearly in Scripture when we are told to pray without ceasing, to give thanks in everything, to abstain from immorality... “for this is God’s will.” 


God willing, tomorrow I will vote. I will choose as wisely as I know how, but I will not assume I have the mind of God, nor that my decision reflects his will. God has often done strange things; things I would not have in my limited wisdom chosen. He has often led me where I would rather not have gone; places of bewilderment, difficulty, trials and tears. He has also led me in paths of righteousness, valleys of contentment, beside still waters. I have been comforted in the storm, but make no mistake, God is often the One who blew upon the waters, stirring up the sea till I cried out to him, “Master, save me!” And this same one who calls me out to walk upon angry waters, lifts me when I’m sinking, and calms the storm. I will cast my vote, but I will also trust that whatever the outcome, God still rules with Christ at his right hand, and I can still live by the power of the Holy Spirit in peace, joy, and gratitude.


No comments:

Post a Comment