Monday, November 9, 2020

Fear and Enemies

 November 9, 2020


“Saul was...afraid of David. So Saul became David’s enemy continually.” —1 Samuel 18:29. David’s star was on the rise, while Saul’s erratic leadership was becoming apparent to everyone. Saul was murderously jealous; almost everything he did was designed to destroy the one loyal man he thought was out to get him. Jealousy breeds all sorts of foul sins. David, “a man after God’s own heart,” refused to retaliate against this man who not only wanted him dead, but would go to great lengths to see to it. David’s righteousness only highlighted the contrast between him and Saul’s descent into darkness.


A true Christian will have enemies—lots of them. We are commanded to love all people, but should not expect to receive love in return. We can love because in Christ, we need fear no one. Often, people hate because they fear the holiness they see in us, if in fact, it is genuine and is showing. The first Christian martyr was Stephen, whose face shone with the glory of Christ as his murderers gnashes their teeth while dragging him away to die.


The holiness of Christ in us reveals the corruption of the hearts of those who oppose him. Fearing exposure by the light of his countenance, they make themselves enemies as they attempt to destroy that which condemns them in spite of themselves. We often wonder why those who do good are persecuted; it is because that goodness reveals by contrast the bitterness, hatred, pride, greed, and lust in the hearts of the persecutors. 


I was often surprised by the vitriol heaped upon Mother Teresa by people in the entertainment industry. “Why would they exhibit such anger and hatred for such a kind and gentle woman?” I often wondered. I’ve learned a few things since then, and I now know it was because her goodness revealed their own selfish and craven thirst for adulation. Most of us are deathly afraid that somehow, somewhere, our worst selves will come out. 


Saul was afraid of David; he didn’t need to be, but his own insecurity fueled that fear till it consumed him. It makes me wonder, who, or what am I afraid of? Have I seen someone as an enemy because he or she makes me look bad by comparison? Do I avoid those who are better and more righteous than I? Do I pass judgment on people, fearing that they will somehow gain power over me? Fear is the root of many an evil, which is why Jesus himself told us to fear God alone. I want to run towards his light, not away from it. The Light that exposes my sin is not my enemy. May I be more afraid of my sin than of the Light that exposes it so it may be forgiven.


No comments:

Post a Comment