Monday, September 28, 2020

Vacation Time

 September 28, 2020


The ancient Deuteronomic code specified three times each year when God’s people were to gather together for what were called “holy convocations.” Passover, the Feast of Weeks or Firstfruits, and the Harvest Feast of Tabernacles which was preceded by the Feast of Trumpets and the Day of Atonement. Aside from their religious purpose, these were times when work-weary people took a mass vacation and celebrated together their heritage and faith. Vacations are important, a fact I didn’t realize when I was younger. I never took all the time off allotted to me, and I wonder now how wise it was to do that. 


This week, I’m helping a friend with a remodeling job, wiring my granddaughter’s bedroom in preparation for the drywall, taking a trip to Rochester to give my brother a break from caring for our mother, and still need to spread some topsoil and seed the side yard where we took down a tree. I’ve been asked to remove some bees from a barn, but that will have to wait till next week. The back entry to the house needs to be torn down, and Linda appreciates it if I take time to give her some attention. 


It’s easy even in these COVID-restricted times to get so many things going that I lose sight of what it means to actually live in the presence of God. I find it easy to read my Bible perfunctorily, seeing the words, but not really paying attention. God promises strength for each day, but requires us to not take on more than he intends for each of those twenty-four hours. Being stressed out is the price we pay for biting off more than we can chew. After so many years, it’s hard to slow down, even when I’m tired. But if I keep going, it can cost me my soul. There is a bright spot in all this: when I visit mom, she sleeps a lot. I guess she’s making up for those busy years in her life. I don’t want to wait till I’m 98 to take a break, so when I visit, I slow down. Putting the brakes on takes determination, but I’m not a quitter, so that’s what I’ll do. It’s not quite the same as the ancient Hebraic feasts, but the effect is much the same—time to pause, reflect, and reorient my life to the rhythms of God himself.


No comments:

Post a Comment