Monday, September 21, 2020

Rest

 September 21, 2020


Three times in the Biblical book of Hebrews, Psalm 95:7-8 is quoted: “Today, if you will hear his voice, do not harden your heart” (Hebrews 3:7, 15, 4:7). Three times also, the 11th verse of this Psalm is quoted: “They shall never enter my rest” (Hebrews 3:11, 4:3, 5). Restlessness is thus thrice linked to a hard heart, an unsettling connection for me. I’ve found myself often unsettled and restless due to all the COVID restrictions being pressed upon us by our government. What was originally billed as “two weeks to flatten the curve” has morphed into six months of restrictions that seem to vary with circumstance. I chafe against these restrictions and against the insinuation by some that such chafing is an indication of a lack of compassion. But I must bow to the conviction of Scripture that when my heart is restless, it is because it is hardened against the voice of God.


I have to decide whether or not to believe in God’s sovereignty. Refusal is a sign of a hardness taking root within me. If God is in control, external circumstances are irrelevant. If I truly believe God is in control, those circumstances have no ability to shake or move me. My heart will rest unfailingly in his unfailing grace. 


Last night I listened to the lyrics of an old hymn, “Abide with me.” The second verse speaks to the changing nature of the world in which we find ourselves.


“Swift to its close ebbs out life’s little day,

Earth’s joys grow dim, it’s glories pass away,

Change and decay in all around I see,

O Thou who changes not, abide with me.”


“Change and decay” pretty well describe what we are seeing all around us. If I am restless in the midst of it, it’s because I’ve pinned my hopes to those glories which are passing away. Rest is found only by abiding in the One who is above and over all we see here, and only a heart responsive to his tender mercies will find that rest. I am thankful tonight for the Holy Spirit who pursues my often wandering heart through the Scriptures, tenderizes it in the love of Christ, and grants it rest in the presence of the Father.


No comments:

Post a Comment