Saturday, August 22, 2020

Weight

 August 22, 2020


In the book of Exodus, God gave Moses the pattern for the high priestly garments Aaron and his successors were to wear when they entered the Tabernacle and later, the Temple. The garment included  “a breastpiece, an ephod, a robe, a woven tunic, a turban and a sash. They are to make these sacred garments for your brother Aaron and his sons, so they may serve me as priests” (Exodus 28:4). No one really knows what the ephod was, but the rest of the attire is pretty straightforward. These garments were magnificent, woven of the finest linen, with gold threads and embroidered with colorful patterns. Whatever the ephod was, it had shoulder pieces set with two onyx stones on which were engraved the names of the tribes of Israel, with the explanation that “Aaron is to bear the names on his shoulders as a memorial before the Lord.” —Exodus 28:12 NIV


The sacred garments also included a breastplate set with twelve stones, each one engraved with the name of one of the tribes so that “Whenever Aaron enters the Holy Place, he will bear the names of the sons of Israel over his heart on the breastpiece of decision as a continuing memorial before the Lord.” Exodus 28:29 NIV


The purpose is clearly stated. The priest bore on his shoulders the weight of the spiritual leadership of the people, and that weight was to be not only on his shoulders, but also in his heart. Leadership that neglects to shoulder the weight of responsibility and fails to lead out of love can never call itself godly leadership. Sadly, too often even in Christian leadership, the lure of power, recognition, and perks results in a “leadership” that before God is naked and barren. Conversely, godly leadership doesn’t need expensive embroidered robes. The weight is not in the cloth, but in the heart.


The day I retired, I physically felt the burden of leadership lifting from my shoulders as I passed the torch to Joe, my successor. I have watched him lead for seven years now, and know he carries on his shoulders the names of countless people, many of whom I have never met. And beneath those shoulders beats a heart passionate for Jesus and burdened with the names of those whose struggles and problems are beyond human ability to fix. The only way he or any other pastor can truly lead is by bearing those names into the presence of God, just as did the high priest so many years ago. 


I look back, remembering the weight and wondering how much more often I could have carried those names not only on my shoulders, but also before the Lord. Though I no longer shoulder the burden, I still have them in my heart as I pray for them today and for my pastor who has been charged with leadership both weighty and large. I am grateful in these troubled times to have passed that leadership on to younger and stronger shoulders, and to a courageous and compassionate heart. Tomorrow Joe, as you carry the names, give them Jesus!


No comments:

Post a Comment