Friday, August 14, 2020

Just. Enough

 August 14, 2020


In the Biblical story of the Exodus, God provided manna in the desert as food for the children of Israel. For forty years, this was the staple of their diet. “In the morning the dew lay all around the camp. And when the layer of dew lifted, there, on the surface of the wilderness, was a small round substance, as fine as frost on the ground” (Exodus 16:13-14). The text goes on to say, “It was like white coriander seed, and the taste of it was like wafers made with honey” (Exodus 16:31). They were instructed to gather enough for a day at a time for each family. Then there is a curious note in the story.


“So when they measured it by omers, he who gathered much had nothing left over, and he who gathered little had no lack. Every man had gathered according to each one’s need.”   —Exodus 16:18 NKJV


In more than forty years of Christian ministry, I learned that it is pretty common when counseling for the recipient to say something like, “but you don’t know MY situation. You haven’t walked in my shoes.” And knowing this to be true, it was always tempting to back off, which left the recipient feeling justified, but unchanged. This text challenges that kind of rationalization. I may not know another’s situation, but God does, and has just the right remedial in just the right amount. 


I gave up counseling and instead began what I called “prayer therapy.” Most people who came for it had already made up their mind what they were going to do, and merely wanted me to bless their decision. And if they were truly confused about their situation, I was never clever enough to thread my way through their story. I was never wise enough, but I was always ignorant enough to pray, and when I did, I found that God was always enough. Just enough for the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment