Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Three...No...Four!

July 28, 2020

My nightly musings began more than seven years ago with a scripted list of three things each day for which to be thankful. I’ve often strayed from the script in the intervening years, but occasionally revisit it, or at least the pattern of threes.

Tonight I am thankful for brunch with my granddaughter Abi. She will be headed back to college soon enough, and I wanted time with her to hear her heart. We talked about life, love, the future, all the uncertainty that surrounds us. There is plenty enough of that these days, so the only wisdom I had to give was to remind her that boats don’t sink because of the water all around them; they sink when the water gets into them, so don’t let all the fear and garbage of the world get inside. 

There are few delights for someone in the gerontological generation than seeing the world through young eyes. Abi’s are wide open, and I pray they may continue to be so, to notice the traps the Enemy has set, but even more, the opportunities God places before her.

While we were talking, a phone call came through from my eye doctor. Driving at night has become increasingly challenging; I often see double. Seeing two sets of taillights ahead where you know there is only one vehicle can be a bit challenging. A bit of advice here: aim between them. The Dr. told me it’s my age, and that he can add a prism in my prescription that should help. The real good news is that he will be retired before the cataracts developing in my eyes will need surgery. It’s good news because he’s not a geezer like me, so I’ll be able to avoid the knife for some years to come.

Dropping Abi off at work, I drove over to see my friend Harry. A cup of espresso on his porch not only tickled my taste buds, but filled my soul. Coffee and conversation with a Christian brother; it’s hard to beat!

When I got home, work awaited. A call to grandson Nathan was all it took to launch us into a clean up the yard project. We had three dying ash trees taken down last week, and it was time to begin cleaning up the mess. A little over an hour, and we were pooped, but one tree is done!  

Well, that’s four, not three, but I never was good at math. As my daughter in law says, “Look for the joy.” It’s not hard to find, and it’s much better than the junk this world offers.

No comments:

Post a Comment