Saturday, July 11, 2020

Small Matters

July 11, 2020

In my daily reading of Scripture, I have a system that takes me through the Psalms in a month. On the first day of the month, I read Psalm 1, 31, 61, 91, 121. Day 2 gives me Psalm 2, 32, 62, 92, 122, and so on through the month. The eleventh day always takes me to my favorite Psalm, 131. It is short, so I’ll include it in it’s entirety.

“LORD, my heart is not haughty, 
Nor my eyes lofty. 
Neither do I concern myself with great matters, 
Nor with things too profound for me. 
Surely I have calmed and quieted my soul, 
Like a weaned child with his mother; 
Like a weaned child is my soul within me. 
O Israel, hope in the LORD From this time forth and forever.”
—Psalm 131:1-3 NKJV

That this Psalm pops up every year on my birthday is to me, an added blessing. 

Leadership gurus often speak of having great visions, the bigger, the better. No matter the field, great leaders think expansively; bigger churches, bigger companies, more influence and power.  I’m all for reaching more people, doing greater things, but I also know my limits. Years ago when Park church was growing exponentially, I was driving through Lockport and passed a small UM church on a street corner in an urban neighborhood, surrounded by houses. I remember praying; I told God how good things were going in the little rural village of Sinclairville, and asked what I could have accomplished in a place where thousands of people lived. God doesn’t speak to me in audible voices, but I know it’s him when I have a thought foreign to my way of thinking. “What could I have accomplished there?” I asked. God’s answer was crystal clear and to the point.

“Jim, I couldn’t do anything more with you there than I’m doing with you where you are. I’m doing the best I can with what I have to work with.” I’m grateful he told me that. I’ve lived most of my life in this little village, going deep in relationships. With all the big issues facing us today, sometimes it feels like I’m shirking my duty focusing on the few people God has placed in my path, but this is my birthday psalm, God’s word to me. I’ll leave it to others to climb the ladders of success, to build larger ministries, to involve themselves in the great issues of the day. I don’t concern myself with great matters, with things too great for me.” I’m not hiding my head in the sand; great matters haven’t  been my calling, and on this, my 71st birthday, I am content; my soul is calm and quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment