Friday, July 31, 2020

Belated Bees

July 31, 2020


The bees will have to wait until tomorrow. My original plan had been to take a peek into the hives today after having lunch with #1 granddaughter (that’s in chronological order, not an order of affection). I had a wonderful time with Alex, talking of life, of plans, and how God often takes us down paths we didn’t even know were there until we started walking them. As Eisenhower said, “Plans are nothing; Planning is everything.” If nothing else, the political reaction to COVID has shown us that our best plans can come unravelled in the blink of an eye.


Like today. Instead of bees, I raked and loaded branches and leaves from the past three or four days of cutting and stacking wood from the trees we had cut down last week. I thought i could do both, but it wasn’t meant to bee (get it?). Fortunately, apis mellifera doesn’t require daily attention like our lazy dog and cat. Besides that, unlike canis lupus and felis catus, (Emma and Hector, respectively), the honeybee actually works for a living, and pays me to take care of her. 


So tomorrow if it doesn’t rain, I’ll take off the lid, pry out the frames, and check to see how the queen is doing and how strong the colony is. Hopefully, they’ll be ready for another super (the boxes that hold the frames for the larvae and honey). If ready, I’ll put them on and they should be good to go, and like so much in life, they may prosper and reward me, or they may turn out to be duds. Life is uncertain, but it is good, nonetheless, and I am looking forward to getting an inside glimpse into the workings of the hive. Maybe I’ll get a good look too, at the workings of life.


No comments:

Post a Comment