Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Slowing Down

July 15, 2020

Sometimes retirement just feels odd. After attending our pastors’ prayer group this morning, I stopped at the credit union, came home, and after spending some time reading my Bible, helped my son mud two sections of wall in his kitchen. It didn’t take long. I was going to check on my bees, but it was too hot, so instead, I pulled a few weeds from the edge of the lawn, watched a short video about bees, and before I knew it, it was suppertime. After supper, Linda and I sat on the patio drinking coffee and talking, after which I assembled a beehive super. All in all, I can’t say as I accomplished much, which is why retirement feels so odd. For more than forty years, I was used to filing my days with activity, getting things done. Sermon preparation, hospital and nursing home visitation, home calls, meetings, counseling, were just some of the things that filled my days. Now it’s a few short tasks, and before I know it, the day is done.

I am grateful for the slower pace, even though I feel guilty for being so lazy. Perhaps the “new reality” everyone is talking about means more time for reflection and prayer. If so, I say, bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment