Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Ordinary Day

July 1, 2020

Sometimes when I look back on the day, nothing really stands out as worthy of writing. It’s pretty ordinary stuff. I got up before 6, read a bit, grabbed a quick breakfast before heading to Dunkirk for our pastors’ prayer time and worship preparation. A quick stop at Home Depot for an electrical box, then to the credit union to withdraw our month’s money. I helped my son install a pair of electrical outlets, was asked to officiate at a friend’s wedding, then watered the lawn to try to fix the mess I made of it the other day. Working on Sunday’s sermon came next, along with a running conversation with a pastor friend and a call from another friend going through some deep waters. Linda and I had dinner, I worked some more on the sermon before going to the village board meeting tonight. 

Here’s what is amazing about all that: I have the freedom to do it all. We don’t have bars on our windows, we can walk the streets at night, we have 2 1/2 acres of peace and (usually) quiet. We don’t live in fear or want, our children and grandchildren are following Christ. I believe the day is coming when all this could vanish, as has happened numerous times in history. I would be sad to see it go, but am learning more each day what it means to pin my hopes on Christ.

Psalm 30 launched our prayer time this morning. Verses 6-7 read, “No in my prosperity I said, “I shall never be moved.” Lord, by your favor you have made my mountain stand strong. You hid your face, and I was troubled.” It’s easy when things are going well to imagine we will never be moved, but all it takes is for God to hide his face for but a moment, and we experience what is always possible, and are troubled. I know full well how quickly and easily things can change. Monday evening, I was going through some old papers and came across letters from the dark time in our lives of 2004. When the year opened, all seemed well; by March, our world was collapsing. It took nearly ten years for me to work through it all, and I learned—it’s only by the favor of God that we stand strong; another word for favor is grace. I am thankful tonight for that grace that surrounds me, not only when things are going well, but at all times. It’s been an ordinary day, and that is extraordinary!

No comments:

Post a Comment