Friday, April 24, 2020

This Present Distress

April 24, 2020

“For we do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, of our trouble which came to us in Asia: that we were burdened beyond measure, above strength, so that we despaired even of life. Yes, we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves but in God who raises the dead...

For our boasting is this: the testimony of our conscience that we conducted ourselves in the world in simplicity and godly sincerity, not with fleshly wisdom but by the grace of God, and more abundantly toward you.” —II Corinthians 1:8-9, 12 NKJV

St. Paul doesn’t tell us here what the troubles were which he endured in Asia (Minor), but prior to these words he writes passionately about comforting one another in times of trial, indicating that he was speaking from experience. I am impressed by the phrase, “we despaired even of life.” Christian faith for Paul wasn’t a happy happy, joy joy life. This greatest of Christians admits he thought he would die, and that the problems he faced weighed heavily upon him. He gives tacit permission for us to experience without shame feeling the weight of the world on our shoulders, as long as it drives us to lean harder upon God. 

He then tells us how he dealt with that burden and despair: He conducted himself with simplicity and godly sincerity, with divine grace caring for others. So often when hard pressed, we make things more complicated than they are. I’ve found that simplicity is usually best, and that simplicity is rooted in having a clear set of values by which to live. I’ve never had to puzzle over whether I should be faithful to my wife. I learned early on to keep my first commitments. I was taught that you don’t play till the work is done. It’s simple (which is not the same thing as easy). Honesty, diligence, faith are not complicated, but they can be difficult. 


Paul said he scorned fleshly wisdom; instead of bowing to whatever the culture promoted, he lived in grace and stayed focused on ministering to others. Our culture wallows in fear and shame. Grace and forgiveness are anathema to most, and looking out for Number One is taken for granted. I’ve never found fear, shame, and self-centeredness to be of any help even in the best of times, let alone in times of difficulty. When things are hard is exactly the right time to live boldly with joyous abandon serving others. I’ve noticed whenever I’m down, it’s because I’m focusing on how I am feeling at the moment. When I turn my attention to serving others, I never fail to feel better. In this present distress, simplicity, sincerity, and gracious service to others is good medicine. I am so thankful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ which has taught me this, because I surely wouldn’t think of it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment