Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Friends

 April 1, 2020

Sixteen years ago when we were going through the worst time in our lives, a man stepped in, blessing us with his friendship, wisdom, and prayers. Richard Smith was assistant to Dick Eastman, the Director of Every Home for Christ, and was leading the mission trip to Mongolia to which Linda and I had been invited. I suppose one’s first mission trip always holds a special place in one’s heart; I know this trip was a lifesaver for us, and Richard was the main reason for it. I was privileged to go on three more trips with Richard before we began working in Cuba. He retired from EHC a few years ago to take care of his ailing wife Anna Mae, so our only way of staying in touch was via emails. Last Christmas when we wrote to him, we failed to receive his normal reply. I tried again a couple times, and finally contacted EHC to see if they could help. They did, and tonight I called him.

His voice was a bit more frail than I remember it being, but as he talked, I could see in my mind that same kind smile that always graced his face. Over the years when we would talk, “I thank the Lord” seemed to always be on his lips, and that hasn’t changed. He reminded me of the time we ministered in a prison in Mongolia. A hundred or more men responded to the Gospel that day, and we baptized them from our water bottles. “They never ran out,” Richard mused. 

Friends forged in the fires of adversity are welded together in unbreakable bonds, and that’s the kind of friend Richard is. Living in Memphis as he does, we aren’t able to visit face to face as I’d like, but hearing his voice tonight was a gift from God. 

As I write, it’s hard to focus on the screen; my eyes are strangely watery. Earlier in the day we had a visit from dear friends from our Dunkirk church. Barb Block was my secretary and office manager; her husband Bob is treasurer, and both are dear friends. During our enforced isolation and social distancing, Bob has been busy in his shop, making cradles for our daughter. These miniature cradles will be traveling from church to church receiving donations for the Options Care Center. A month ago, Jessie had asked if Bob would be interested in making a cradle; he made one, and has followed up with four more. 


God has blessed us with so many wonderful people in our lives. We are thankful for them at all times, but in these days of social distancing, I realize how much I miss being with my friends. I am so thankful for the Gospel that teaches us about eternity with Christ. It is unthinkable to me that relationships that are so deep should flare up like a match struck, only to burn out in a moment’s time. I think tonight of those who over a lifetime have through their love and integrity built monuments in my heart. They are gifts of deep grace for which I am eternally indebted and grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment