Thursday, April 30, 2020

Soul Refinisher

April 30, 2020

It was pretty beat up when I took it down from the rafters in the garage. Some years ago, I rescued it from the trash bin along with two others. My brother-in-law had died too young, and my sister had finally decided to move out of the house they had called home for their entire married life. With time on my hands over the past few weeks, I figured it was time to bring it back to life. 

Transformation doesn’t happen overnight. The decision to change may be instantaneous, but the change itself is a process requiring skill and resources. Before anything happened, I envisioned the finished product. I gathered the tools, and set to work. The old finish had to be removed, loose joints glued, new stain and varnish applied before I could begin. It took a week just to get ready to start. Another week of steady work, and it’s done. I like the feeling when I finish a project.


God took me from the trash heap of sin. He saw the finished project before I was even born, and one step at a time, with infinite skill and the resources of his grace and power, he set to work. Unlike my chair, God isn’t done with me yet. There are still more than a few traces of the old life that need to be removed; the new finish that will shine in the light of his love hasn’t yet dried to its eternal glory, but with mercy, forgiveness, and persistence beyond measure, He keeps at it, and someday his skill as a renewer of discarded lives will be on display for all to see. It will be a glorious day!

No comments:

Post a Comment