Thursday, April 2, 2020

Patience


April 2, 2020

James 1:2-4 tells us, “My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.”

There are some character traits that cannot be given; they must be developed. God can give us grace and forgiveness in an instant, but patient endurance can only come from having something to be patient about. When times are good, we may imagine ourselves to be strong, to be loving, to be Christlike, but it is times of difficulty that reveal what’s really inside us. Someone once said that we are like teabags; it takes being in hot water to bring out what’s really inside. 

I’ve often thought I was a pretty patient individual. As a pastor, I’ve listened to people pour out their hearts for hours. I’ve refrained from retaliation when mistreated, and even had people ask me how I managed to put up with certain individuals. I’ve always figured that if God hadn’t given up on me, I had no right to give up on anyone else. 

What I didn’t know was how selfish and obstinate I could be (I know, all I had to do was ask Linda). This enforced isolation has tested me in ways I hadn’t expected. I am a firm believer in our rights as American citizens, and being told I can’t go here or there, that we should not gather with loved ones, irritates me. I’ve discovered I have a rebellious streak; I justify it by telling myself that refusing to let the government put limits on my freedom is a matter of conscience and principle, especially when it involves worshipping with brothers and sisters. But justifying my attitudes doesn’t make them just. 


COVID-19 is bad news. But God can take even bad news and bring good out of it. The flip side of patience is stubbornness. Patience is good, stubbornness is not. God is convicting me of my stubbornness. Instead of chafing at the bit, I’m learning to accept what is. That means letting go of my own stubborn will and submitting to the will of God. Even for someone who tends to be laid back, this is a new and challenging venture, but I am thankful tonight for the difficult situation that is revealing areas of growth for me. St. Paul says to “bring every thought captive to Christ.” (2 Corinthians 10:5). I’m working on it. Linda will let you know how I’m doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment