Sunday, April 19, 2020

Recognizing Jesus

April 19, 2020

This morning’s Scripture lesson came from Luke 24, the story of Jesus’ appearance to the disciples on the way to Emmaus. It’s a strange story, but filled with substance. Two disciples were walking from Jerusalem to the small village of Emmaus, discussing current events, which happened to be the crucifixion of Jesus and the disappearance of his body from the tomb. Jesus drew up alongside them and began asking about their conversation. The text says, “their eyes were restrained, so they did not know him.” 

I wonder what restrains my vision so I cannot recognize Jesus even when he is right beside me? It’s not like Jesus hadn’t told his followers what was going to happen to him, but still they didn’t understand. His response to their obtuseness was to reprimand them. “You are slow of heart to believe.” Notice that he didn’t accuse them of doubt, but of unbelief. There is a difference. Doubt wonders how something could happen. Unbelief doubts that it could happen.  Doubt is a function of the mind; unbelief is a function of the heart. Not only could they not wrap their minds around the resurrection; it was an impossibility as far as they were concerned. How often have I dismissed what God has plainly said in the Scriptures, maybe not giving voice to my unbelief, but nonetheless not believing it could happen. How often do we limit and constrict what God wants to do not because we cannot imagine how he might do it, but because we don’t believe he can or will.

As Jesus explained the Scriptures to them, something stirred within them. “Their hearts burned,” they later said to each other. Jesus was giving them a first-rate Bible lesson, but it wasn’t until he broke bread with them that their eyes were opened (v. 35). They didn’t need Bible teaching as much as they needed an experience of Jesus himself. Bible study is a wonderful thing, but liberal seminaries are filled with professors who have lots of Bible knowledge but little Jesus experience. It’s not the halls of academia we need nearly as much as the table of fellowship where Jesus feeds the soul.

We have made use of every technology available to us in order to stay connected with each other. We offer online Bible lessons, online worship, online prayer times. It is good, and people are being reached, but I don’t know of anyone who doesn’t long for that day when we can again meet face to face. Why is that? It is in the fellowship—the ordinary occasions where we gather around the coffee pot, where we give and receive hugs and handshakes, the meals we share—it is in such gatherings, large and small, that we experience in a unique way the presence of Christ. 


I am grateful for all the benefits technology has given us, but I am also praying for the day when I can hug my grandchildren (yes, even you, Eliza!), have coffee with my friends, and hold each other’s hands in prayer. Till then, the best I can do is hold them in my heart, which I do with deep gratitude for the people God has brought into my life, those I know and love as brothers and sisters in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment