Monday, April 15, 2019

Promises


April 15, 2019

The problem with making a commitment is having to keep it. Promises are easy; fulfillment is hard. Last week I made a commitment to another trip to Cuba. My friends there seem excited to have me come and I am looking forward to being with them again. Every time I board the plane for home, I leave a part of me there, waiting for the rest of me to return next time around. 

Commitment being made, it’s now time to pony up. The hard part is the preparation, the study, combing through the Scriptures, reviewing notes, praying and deciding what I am or am not able to present to those who will give of their time. It’s always a bit daunting; I’m not much of a teacher, even less of a theologian. I’m a pastor who’ll be responsible for the training of other pastors. It’s a bit reminiscent of Paul’s word to Timothy in 2 Timothy 2:2—“The things you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, entrust these things to faithful people who will be competent to teach others also.” Discipleship isn’t done till it’s passed to the third generation. I’ve not taught my children adequately if they fail to teach their children.


The commitment has been made. I’m preparing for its fulfillment and will soon have the frightening privilege of actually sharing with my friends. Frightening because of the importance of the task; possible only because of the call of Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit. I am grateful for another opportunity to do what I’m wired to do. All I need is the connection to the Source of the Power and those for whom it is given.

No comments:

Post a Comment