Monday, April 8, 2019

Friends

April 8, 2019

Days that don’t go as planned sometimes are better than expected. My friend Debbie doesn’t have a lot of stuff; there’s only so much one can cram into an efficiency apartment, so two friends, two pickup trucks, and two loads later, everything except her antique vanity, her piano (I don’t do pianos and antiques), and a few odds and ends were in her new home. We didn’t even drop or break anything.

I know people whose friends only come around when they want something. If on the other hand they need something, those friends are nowhere to be found. When I told Debbie I would help her move, I didn’t even think of asking anyone for help. A few trips over a few days, and I figured we could have it all done, but when in a conversation I told my friend Shawn what I would be doing, he asked if he could help. I had planned on meeting my friend George this morning, so when I asked him if he could meet a bit later, instead he too, offered to help. 


What kind of friend offers not just to help you, but to help someone they’ve never met? I can answer that question: the very best kind of friend. Because of Jesus Christ, I have lots of them, and two of them gave up their entire morning today being that kind of friend. I am blessed, and very thankful today.

No comments:

Post a Comment