Thursday, April 25, 2019

An Odd Mind

April 25, 2019

Sometimes I wonder what’s the matter with me. I’m in an online Bible reading plan shared by 70-90 others from Park church. The readings take us through the Bible, catching the highlights while skipping parts apparently deemed boring or not quite important enough. Part of the plan includes the opportunity for people to comment on what the text is saying to them. I’ve noticed as I read that the things that catch my attention are usually quite different than what everyone else sees and comments on. 

For example, today’s reading was from 1 Samuel 1 and 2; the story of Hannah’s distress at not being able to conceive, her prayers at the house of God, and the priest Eli’s chastisement and later blessing of her. The New Testament text was from Philippians 4:6-7, which tells us that prayer instead of worry is the path to peace. Those who commented on the readings commented on the Philippians text, but what caught my attention was this phrase from 1 Samuel: “Eli the priest was sitting in his place by the door.” (1:10 GNB). 

My comment was, “Often in Scripture we read of God’s servants sitting. I wonder how long Eli sat there day by day, and what he thought about as he sat. Did he pray, or talk with those who came to worship? One thing we know: he wasn’t playing games or scrolling through Facebook on his phone! With all our relentless activity what we are missing because we can’t sit still long enough for God to guide us?”

When I mentioned this interesting fact to Linda, oddly enough, she didn’t seem surprised. She even suggested that perhaps I sit too much, but I just chalk that up to jealousy; she couldn’t sit still if her life depended on it. I still think it’s worth pondering. There are precious few who have given themselves completely to being in the presence of God. We love to quote Psalm 122:1–“I was glad when they said to me, “Let us go into the house of the LORD,” or Psalm 84:10“For a day in Your courts is better than a thousand. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God Than dwell in the tents of wickedness,” but there aren’t many of us who are actually willing to do it.


I wonder how the Church or our families might be better off if we slowed down and sat by the door of God’s house. Of course, it isn’t a panacea; Eli’s sons were undisciplined and profligate, so just sitting isn’t enough. But it might be a place to start. But in the meantime, I still wonder what’s wrong with me that I notice such odd stuff. Apparently I’m in my own little world, but that’s OK; I like it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment