Monday, February 19, 2018

Surprised by God

February 19, 2018

It was a small gesture, but means a lot. Tonight at our men’s Bible study, we started out as usual, with prayer requests. I mentioned a family in Dunkirk that I’ve been working with. For various legitimate reasons, they hadn’t been in church since Christmas, and I finally was able to visit them today. When I talked with them last week, he told me that they weren’t in church because he couldn’t get his car started. He bought a new battery, but it sounds to me like either the starter or the alternator. 

I merely asked for prayers for this family, not just regarding their transportation, but because I believe God brought them to us last fall as first fruits of what he intends to do in Dunkirk. If the church is going to grow, like a tree, it will be at the edges with new people. They are eager, ready to even go door to door handing out flyers and inviting neighbors and friends. 


After Bible study tonight, one of the men caught me washing the coffee pots and wiping down the kitchen counter. He slipped $15 into my hand. “I didn’t have more on me tonight, but this is for the alternator.” I hadn’t asked for any money, but this man felt the nudge of the Holy Spirit to help out. If anyone asks why I came out of retirement to be a pastor once more, it’s because of moments like this when God catches me by surprise like he did tonight. I am grateful for my friend, his heart for Christ and Christ’s people, and for the opportunity it will give me to be a tangible witness to the love of God through his people.

No comments:

Post a Comment