Thursday, February 8, 2018

My Best

February 8, 2018

Former president Jimmy Carter tells the story of when he was a junior officer in the Navy and was called before his senior officer regarding something that hadn’t been done quite right. This particular officer was known as a stickler for detail, and Carter was sweating it out as he stood before him trying to explain his actions. The officer looked him in the eye as he sat in his chair behind his desk. “Did you do your best?” he asked. 

Carter hesitated as he tried to think of how to wiggle around the question, but finally said, “No, sir; I didn’t.”

The officer wheeled around in his chair and with his back to Carter, simply said, “Why not?” Carter had no answer, and stood staring at the back of his officer’s head till he was dismissed to sheepishly slink out the door. That question became the basis for a book he later wrote, “Why Not the Best?” and is a question worth asking today.

This evening, Linda and I attended a basketball game, Jamestown Community College vs. Monroe Community College. A couple of the girls on the JCC team we’ve known for years, and watched them all through high school. Monroe boasts one of the best teams in the country for community colleges, and they showed why tonight as they beat JCC by some twenty points. Our girls did well, made some great plays, but were clearly outmatched by these girls from MCC. Even though we were losing, it was a pleasure watching some of the moves they made. It was poetry in motion. They were that good.

I feel the same way when I listen to the kids at Fredonia college at their recitals. Last Sunday, I attended the BassFest—seminars and performances by students and professionals alike. The skills that they demonstrate are utterly amazing to me. I get the same pleasure out of watching and listening to them as I did watching the ball game this evening. Excellence is always worth watching.

Which makes me wonder with former president Carter, “Have I done my best?” Have I done my best as a husband and father, as a pastor and preacher, as a Christian bearing witness in the world? I’m afraid I often have to respond as he did so many years ago, and wonder if God isn’t shaking his head and asking, “Why not?” If one’s best is expected in sports or music, in business or medicine, why should it not be expected in religion? We have way too many churches foundering because too many of us pastors aren’t putting in the work to do our best. That’s not the only reason, but it is one, and I don’t want to some day stand before God when he asks that question, hang my head in shame and say, “No sir, I didn’t.” 


The Good News is, even if I must hang my head for past failures, grace says I can do better tomorrow. Each day brings its new mercies, the Scripture says, and standing upon that sure foundation, tomorrow I can, and will, do my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment