Saturday, February 17, 2018

Comforting the Comforter

February 17, 2018

Sometimes it’s the comforters who get comforted. Before I say more, take a good look at that word “comfort.” We tend to think of it in rather maudlin ways, dabbing tears from the eye, giving a hug, or an arm around the shoulder. It can be all these things, but the word literally means, “with strength.” Genuine comfort is an impartation of strength to the recipient. It may involve hugs and tears, but it can also include correction, reality checks, and a strong talking-to. 

That being said, I was called upon today to offer comfort to a Christian friend who has experienced more than her share of disappointment in life. Health issues have mandated a major trajectory change in her life, not an easy path for anyone. In spite of all she’s been through, she still feels the call of God upon her life, which is how I got called into the middle of it. The goal she senses may be quite out of reach, which would be another disappointment. So we talked. About mission work, how we recognize God’s call in our lives, and about how we prepare ourselves for mission service. Tears were shed, questions raised, fears confronted. 


I don’t know where her missionary desire will take her, but I know this: I wish I had a church full of people who are as compassionate and as ready to serve Christ in whatever way they can as she is. What an expansive heart she has! I reminded her that God has given her everything she needs to serve him right now, just as he did before her illness. It’s just that the service is a bit different. We talked about some possibilities, prayed together, and I left. I don’t know if I helped her, but she certainly ministered to me! This comforter was comforted—strengthened by this servant of Christ who opened her heart and poured out love.

No comments:

Post a Comment